Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Shopping in Amsterdam

Last night we came back from 3 fun days in Amsterdam. Marlijn stayed with her grandparents, Anne and Lennart went with us. We had a hotel on the Damrak so in the middle of Amsterdam Centre. The hotel was not quit what we expected but the room was ok. Breakfast though was so bad (and not even in the same hotel, we had to go to another building 3 doors further) that we decided to go to another (chique) hotel for breakfast the second moring. It was everything we could have hoped for :)
On sunday we went to Madame Tussauds, Anne really wanted to take us because she had been there once before with a friend. It was fun, some of the statues look very real, but to be honest... I don't think it's worth THAT much money. It took less then an hour to go through there and without reduction it costs € 59,- ($ 74,-) for a familycard for 4 people.




We wanted to visit the Anne Frank House but we where not the only ones. There was a line standing outside all from the Prinsengracht to the Keizersgracht and we where told that waiting time would be about 2 hours... OK, I guess if we want to go there we better not go in a vacation period. So, we didn't do that this time.
In stead we went shopping in the "9 straatjes" (9 little street). Thanks to
Flo who's living in Amsterdam and gave me this tip! These little streets are filled with all kinds of little shops and bars and restaurants. An absolute must if you ever visit Amsterdam!
I went ribbon-shopping at Kerkhof's and bead-shopping at Beadies and had a great time!
On monday the weather was so nice we could have lunch outside and I had a delicious club Sandwich.











Of course we also went to all the other famous shopping streets. The Bijenkorf ( a big shopping centre) was the kids favorite! We had great dinner and a lot of fun together!



You can click on the pictures to enlarge them.

In about an hour Marlijn will be back. Her grandparents will sleep over because tomorrow is Marlijn's 4th. birthday! I'd better start preparing now :)
Have a great day!
Birgit

11 Comments:

Blogger Shirley said...

Looks like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing your pictures!

8:06 AM

 
Blogger Christiane said...

that looks like a lot of fun!! and the pics are great!!

8:47 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh -that is why I love Amsterdam! Wonderful pictures- thanks for bringing back the memories!

9:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh... makes me miss holland! now that's special! ;o) love your pics!

5:01 PM

 
Blogger corinne5 said...

looks like you had a wonderful time! Congrats with marlijn she is getting big now!

corinnexxx

11:02 PM

 
Blogger Brigitta said...

lovely pictures Birgit, my friend also told me about the "9 straatjes" so if and when I go to Amsterdam again, that's where we'll be going.
Happy birthday to Marlijn. It's Jennifers birthday next week (on Halloween) first party is on sunday (I'll definately leave the house hahaha)

12:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun! Amsterdam is a great place to be.
Happy birthday for Marlijn!!!

12:52 AM

 
Blogger D@nielle said...

haven't been shopping in amsterdam for ages, but you're photo's make me want to go soon ! Can't wait to see what you do with the photo's. Too bad AFH was so busy, I took my friends from canada and they were very impressed, but then we didn't have a 2 hr wait ..... and yes MT is way overpriced ! Great that you had this fun weekend with the kids, have a great b'day Marlijn !

1:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats on Marlijn 4th birthday Birgit!! and look at those ribbons! and beads!! okay, Flo has to tell me where those streets and shops are :) beautiful pictures!!

11:25 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I come for a visit?? ha ha! looks so nice where you live! Happy Birthday to Marlijn! Kendal turns 4 in Dec.

4:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful pictures, makes me miss Amsterdam. "9 straatjes" are great! I always saw that never ending line for the Anne Frank House and in the 13 years I lived in Amsterdam I never went. Last time I visited it was when I was 12 :-)

6:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home